Throughout the myriad of opinions and righteous indignation from all sides, of the past few weeks, I've been left with many various thoughts, but at their essence is this; a lack of hope in the human spirit. At the extremes, both left and right, both "black and white," both spiritual and terrestrial world views, are displaying the same deficiency. What has happened to fertilize the growth of hopelessness in our culture? In the past, I've asked the question, "What does it mean to be a human being?" The answer to that question is interesting to me because it exposes, I believe, what the individual believes about, not only, themselves specifically, but others in general. In my experience, how we see human beings, and what we think it means to be a human being are integral to how we react to each other. All the "Isms" of today, feminism, humanism, socialism, capitalism, spiritualism, racism, conservatism, liberalism, gay or straight, you name it, h...